Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Surreal Moment on the 520 Bridge

Last week I was driving across the 520 bridge from Seattle to Bellevue. The wind was unreal. You could feel its pressure on the car and the lake looked like an ocean during a storm. Sloshing white caps were flinging spray onto windshields.

Up ahead, maybe 5 cars, a ladder suddenly blew off the top of a truck and landed perpindicular to the roadway. Drivers had to make a split second decision and were choosing to swerve around the ladder in order to avoid an accident. But how long could this go on before someone got hurt?

I checked my rearview mirror and saw I had some room between me and the car behind me. I slowed to a stop and the woman behind slowed as well. I got out of my car (on 520!) and motioned for the other lane of traffic to stop. Once it did I hurried to pick up the ladder and carry it off to the side. I had to go back a few more times to collect smaller pieces that had broken off in the fall.

Someone yelled out a thank you and when I looked back I could see rows and rows of cars lined up on the bridge waiting for me to finish. It was such a surreal moment.

I don't want to toot my own horn because if you read my "Dear Anne" blog below you'll learn that I once got in trouble for tooting my horn. But on the other hand, I am pretty proud of myself! Hopefully I helped save someone from either an accident or just an expensive bill from Les Schwab.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JENNIFER YOU ARE SUCH A BITCH AND YOU WERE A TOTAL BULLY IN SCHOOL. I'M GLAD YOU TURNED OUT FAT AND UGLY

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous Bully: Our bodies are just vessels carrying our souls and spirit. If you need pure olive oil, and all bottles cost the same, you'll pick the pretty bottle. But if you need oil and there's some nasty vinegar in a beautiful, slender bottle and olive oil in a plainer bottle, you'll happily buy the oil despite the bottle. No matter how pretty the bottle, no one will ever buy the rancid vinegar. Yes, you're the poisoned vinegar in this example. I hope you can find some peace and grow comfortable with who you are internally -- it sounds like you have a truly rancid content. There's still time for your container to hold something wonderful, but you need to let go of the hate. Why would you try to hurt someone -- did it make you feel better to be a cyber bully? However beautiful your bottle, no one will ever want your content unless you change who you are. Good luck , , ,